1. Lipstick: Lipstick instantly upgrades any outfit. A bright pop of pink or red can add colour and interest to an all black or monochrome outfit. A nude will make every ensemble more put together and totally business appropriate. A maroon, purple, black or blue makes every look instantly unique and edgy! Lipstick can totally transform your look in a matter of seconds!
2. Heels: For me, heels are the ultimate pick-me-up! There’s something about the sound of a good pair of heels clacking that totally lifts my mood, and my outfit (literally!). Trust me, heels aren’t just for special occasions or businesswear! A pair of dainty kitten heels with lacy socks and a summer dress for your weekend-wear is oh-so-dreamy! A pair of stilettos makes any pair of ripped jeans instantly chic, add a blazer for extra points. Or for the more bohemian- a pair of gorgeous wedges with a pair of flares or denim shorts can be stunning festival wear (although you may have to pack a pair of flats for all those mosh-pits!).
3. Statement Earrings: Statement earrings are always a good idea! I particularly love this look styled with an off the shoulder blouse and hair in a top-knot, this looks amazing on girls with a round, square or diamond shaped face (like myself!) because it lengthens the face and makes it look more oval shaped. However, I think that any face-shape can rock statement earrings and they are such an easy fix to a boring outfit.
4. Socks and Hosiery: This is one of my favourite ways to change up an outfit I’ve worn too many times before. For example, a basic black shift dress can look totally different when paired with fishnets for an edgy look, knee-high socks for a preppy style, retro lacy socks for a 1950s inspired style or coloured tights for a nod to the sixties. It’s important to remember that wearing mini’s (shorts, skirts, dresses) your legs still play a huge part in the composition of an outfit and adding another element can totally transform a look.
5. Change your Silhouette: When creating outfits, your silhouette is so important and can change the aesthetic of an outfit really quickly. My go-to is adding a belt to cinch in the smallest part of my waist, however, there are so many options. Wearing your belt lower on your waist, closer to your hips lengthens a short torso tremendously and gives a boyish 1920s Silhouette. Tuck your jeans into your boots for a more streamlined look, or if your ensemble is very bottom heavy try adding a scarf or flowy top to balance it out.
6. Add a layer: Adding a layer is the best way to get more wear and unique looks out of clothing you already have in your wardrobe (no shopping spree necessary!). Try a white tee underneath a spaghetti strap dress for a boyish 90’s inspired look. Layer a turtleneck over a maxi dress to fake a skirt. Or if you’re really feeling adventurous, try styling pants underneath your dress to look ultra stylish and on trend.7.Hats: Apart from being the perfect solution to bad hair days, hats finish an outfit effortlessly. My personal favourites include a train drivers style hat, for those outfits that exude west-coast California charm. A Parisian Beret for the ultra trendy. A Cap to make every outfit sporty-chic. Or the classic beanie, cute comfortable and always warm!
7. Hats: Apart from being the perfect solution to bad hair days, hats finish an outfit effortlessly. My personal favourites include a train drivers style hat, for those outfits that exude west-coast California charm. A Parisian Beret for the ultra trendy. A Cap to make every outfit sporty-chic. Or the classic beanie, cute comfortable and always warm!
8. Statement Bag: I am definitely a bag girl! I have an insane collection, and I love to swap up my look with different coloured bags! If you usually stick to one basic bag for all your outfits I would suggest buying some fun trend-pieces and experimenting with your look! These definitely don’t need to be a designer, purchasing a few items from a fast fashion store like H&M or an Op-Shop for cheap can add a trendy edge to an over-worn look.
9. Hair: Contrary to popular belief, I believe that styling your hair differently completes every outfit and can totally change the way they look. A messy beachy style can make your business-wear casual chic, or a sleek bun can add a classy touch to a bohemian outfit.
10.Eye-wear: The perfect finishing touch to every look is eyewear! Get creative with your sunnies! I like to experiment with different styles and colours to complete different looks! If I’m channelling a 1970s rocker-chic style a pair of oversized sunnies with a gradient lens would totally finish the look! If I were going for a preppy aesthetic, on the other hand, a pair of round hipster glasses would accent the ensemble perfectly!
Thanks for reading guys! I hope you enjoyed and let me know which tip is your favourite! Check out my Pinterest board for more inspiration on ways to upgrade your outfit!
– xo Rhi